Monday, November 26, 2007

Whimsical Christmas..

A few more weeks to Christmas. Every year, as this special season draws near, my heart starts swelling with anticipation. When I was a child, Christmas meant receiving gifts that Mum and Dad wouldn't buy me during the year. They didn't want to spoil their children and to a mischievous little imp, gifts meant the world, even much more than candy :)
Now that I'm older, Christmas still revolves around gifts but instead of looking forward to receiving them, I'm waiting to deliver them. Each year, I painstakingly make gifts and cards for my friends and family that I hold close to heart, saying a little prayer for all of them before I hand them out. Though insignificant the gifts might be, I feel an unexplainable surge of warmth going about delivering them. Each card would remind me of the pleasant memories with each special friend, the good and bad times.. those who stood by me and became my pillar of support.
This year, I would like it to be really special. I lost a friend this year. He passed away unexpectantly and the pain of loss still lingers. I came close to losing people I love to illnesses like cancer and I still worry about the battle going on.
I've learnt to treasure my friends even more, trying to extend my heart to people around me, appreciating their kindness and joy they have brought into my lives. Some return the favour, some don't, some hurt, some ignore. I used to be wary about sharing my inner fears with others, opting to clamp up and shut my troubles within the four corners of my room but I've learnt that people genuinely care and they do want to share my burden.The past year of turbulence has made me stronger and has given me a will to love those around me because I know how love can make a problem so small. Friends like Pei Huan, JH, Alvin... I cannot put into words how thankful I am to them.
Christmass 2007 marks the 2nd year of spending Christmas with Louie. Chien's right. No matter what, I just have to hang in there till that special moment, where all my fears, unhappiness and anxiety melt away in his reassuring embrace.
I don't need presents anymore. I've got Louie, my family, my beloved friends and most importantly God, who watches over me.
Dear God,
Thank you for sending Jesus on this special day, the one who died on the cross and forgave all my sins. Dear Lord, I pray for all my friends and family around me, and for those that are less fortunate than I am. I pray that they will live, laugh and love to the fullest. I have been such a blessed girl, with more than I deserve. Please show the same kindess to everyone around me and teach me to love them like you love me. Thank you Lord.
In Jesus' name I pray,
Amen.
Louie and I spent the weekend over dinner and short walks in town for my study breaks. I didn't get to see or talk to him much the past week and having him hold my hand meant so much to me.
Walking around town and admiring the beautiful Christmas decorations seemed different, more beautiful when you share it with someone you love...

We had a little break over at the BIG-O cafe. We had waffles and a special irish cream cheese cake!
Then it was back to admiring the beautiful lightings.





For the last two years, my Christmas was made more special through the adopt-a-kid scheme. I got to buy gifts for two different children over the last two years. I don't know who they are or what they look like but I do know that they cannot afford the gifts cause they live in orphanages. The 50-60 dollars spent brought a smile to their faces. I have faith that it did. I remember that as a child, when I looked at other children who got to buy toys I wanted, I felt disappointed. When it came to Christmas, despite receiving an outdated toy, I was still happy because it was something I really wanted.
Let's make our Christmas special this year. Remember the needy.. :) Let them live, laugh and love like you do...
God loves you and I love you too.








No comments: