Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Asia and the West

This is for the nicest and most genuine ang moh I know:
As a true blue Singaporean who demonstrates most aspects of an average income earning individual, I've noticed a few traits or rather, oxymorons in cultures.
Just about a month ago, I went to Sentosa for KM8's closing party. For those unfamiliar with Singapore, KM8 is a tranquil beach bar, where my boyfriend and I choose to hang out because it's cleaner and more ideal for a chillax time than the other bars in Sentosa.
I had a horrid experience. While waiting for a cab amongst the mob at the car park, my boyfriend and I were bullied by some Westerners who were desperate for taxis. While we waited patiently for a group of passengers to pay their cab fare, a drunk Westerner blatantly entered from the other door and demanded that the cab driver drive off. We were baffled! After that, this Western girl came up to our spot declaring that she won't let go of the next cab although we were the rightful next-in-line.
I remember reading articles of how Westerners ridicule the Singaporeans whose national pastime is queueing. In situations like this, I'm glad we have such a culture. I know for sure, I would be dignified in a foreign country in a situation like this.
My observation is that they seem to be an impatient lot. Fuelled with alcohol, they become very loud and they hit on the Asian girls in a none too respectful ways.
Pardon me but is it true that Westerners, men, women alike, all seem to feel more superior than Asians and hence become unbecoming and agressive?
In addition, a few expat friends I knew were caught in a fight, complete with weapons and stitches after. I found out that one of them possibly hit on a gangster's girl. The Asian culture is more reserved and we tend not be too loud. At times, we're criticised for supressing overselves.
Would a Westerner behave differently back in his home?
Does he feel superior in an Asian country?
I hope that angryangmoh's blog could put my observation in a different light.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Superior to Asians? As a kiwi female I used to feel decidedly inferior to the beautiful, immaculately dressed, not sweaty, every hair in the right place, teeny tiny (yes I know my kiwi size 8 arse cant fit any clothes in your shops thanks for telling me so eloquently- sorry ma'am you too fat eh)females in Singapore (where we lived for a couple of years and still use with great regularity as our civilisation stop- our break from the trials of living in Phnom Penh)so I guess like your taxi incident-one we have experienced many times with pushy 'if I dont look you cant be standing there'Asian taxi stealers things arent always as they appear and we are often wrong when making sweeping generalisations.
Thought provoking article - thanks I'll be back!