Thursday, March 22, 2007

A part time student, full time dancer :)

Dance Uncensored 2006
Girls' Nations 2006
Culture Night 2007
Impressario 2007
Happy Dancer :)

I've just completed my part of the essay for my project. I enjoyed writing it, putting extra effort in making sure that my part's written clear and well. Having Tove and Jesper in our group is pretty much a blessing. Though they're exchange students, they are dedicated to the project even though it isn't graded for them. Tove in particular, inspires me. She started out being quiet in the group during our first few meetings but gradually took over as the project leader. Hearing from the exchange students provided different viewpoints in approaching the project and it's a fresh approach from doing project from the Singaporean way. Incidentally, Tove and Jesper are staying at Farrell Park, which is near Little India and Tove suggested that we dine at Muthu's curry after we submit our project as a mini celebration. How lovely! I've developed a thing for Indian food recently. Just thinking about the fragrant spices used to cook that pot of curry... ah blissful!

Anyway, just had a vetting session at Jasmine's music school yesterday. Margie, Siding, Xilin and I are backup dancers for Jas for her guest performance on the 31st. It's also my first choreography for a backup dance and I was nervous about it. I had a rough idea on what a backup dance choreography should be like but I've never done one. Margie, Siding and Xilin have been extremely busy with Dance Uncensored and I'm thankful that they've taken the time to practise for the vetting session. I was a little disappointed yesterday cause we were horribly messy. The manager was pretty pleased with the choreography but commented that we had to polish up. Margie volunteered to help polish up next week, which made me realise that these girls are so incredibly supportive though they're seasoned dancers. There are little things about them like how they never give negative comments about choreography, which was very encouraging to me. Each of them have their own style, but they're willing to compromise and put it aside in order to look neat as a group. I've watched them dance when I was in year one and they've improved tremendously, probably because they are not just dedicated to their passion but they are hardworkers, especially Margie. She's so meticulous and well-organized! I'm motivated to be like them, to have a positive attitude.

Somehow, I still feel the disappointment from last night. Perhaps it's the late nights that I'm having and trouble sleeping cause of my stomach problems.. I woke up at 4 am this morning feeling disappointed. Somehow I was blessed with someone to talk to. Kelvin was up as well and it helped when he asked if I was alright. I've been so busy lately that I've hardly had time to catch up with friends and appreciate little things that they do for me. Kelvin, thank you for your simple msg. Knowing that people around me care gives me the motivation to work harder, to strive towards my goals, my passion....

Dancing started out as a novelty, it then became a hobby. I fell in love with it when I entered NUS and I'm enjoying it. Though there were times that I question the amount of time I put into dancing. The disappointments, the heavy workload... it made me re-evaluate my priorities. Am I in NUS to study or dance? Would I disappoint my parents with my grades? I've come to a compromise, that is to put in the best I can to study but at the same time, dance and aim to improve my techniques. Though I might not be able to dance after I graduate, I think it's still worth it because it will be a phase in life that I treasure. I could look back in a few years' time and not regret because I have once pursued my passion. Maybe, just one day, I could show my grandchildren pictures of their grandma as a dancer. All that hot poses and skimpy outfits ..-chuckles- They will probably complain that it's old-fashioned dance wear by then but at least they'd know that their grandma was one who doned short skirts and navel baring outfits! haha..

I've uploaded some photos of memorable performances and competitions above :)

No comments: